Sunday, December 27, 2009

Just Call Me Elizabeth - OR - My Foray into Confectionery Brilliance

As some of you may know, my SIL Elizabeth is the candy writer for About.com Hence, she's always mixing up batches and batches of goodies and treats - usually several over a single weekend.. Well.. this Christmas weekend I took a short walk in her shoes :)

One thing I have always looked forward to - ever since we moved away from the fam, actually - was spending Christmas by ourselves and being able to make lots of treats to take around to the neighbors.. And this was the year! Of course, leave it up to me to wait until the last minute! For one reason or another - mostly involving Ethan - I wasn't able to get to the store to gather up my ingredients until Christmas Eve, so I spent the whole day cooking and candy-ing and having a great ol' time.. I made peanut brittle, yummy scrummy fudge, chocolate-dipped pretzels, and oreo truffles. {My only claim to fame is that I originally sent the truffle recipe to Elizabeth, then she worked her culinary magic on it to make it the piece of perfection it is today.} I was SO pleased with how everything turned out - especially considering I only had a candy thermometer that went up to 220 and I needed one that measured up to 290!

Here are the final products - beautifully packaged using one of my scrapbooking kits, of course! Oh yeah - and an old formula can.. I promised Alec there was a reason we have a whole closet full of them...



0 things to say...: